Interview questions for WordPress developer
1. When will you not be able to see the plugin menu on a WordPress site?
When a site is hosted on free wrodpress.com, plugin menu will not appear. Also if you don’t have an account for the administrator level, you can’t see the plugin menu.
2. What are the plugins you can use to create a contact form in WordPress?
You can use a plug-in like Gravity forms or a free plugin contact form 7 to create a contact form in WordPress.
3. At what instance you get locked out of your WordPress admin and look at your website as a blank screen?
This would likely happen when you have pasted the code from a website with wrong formats, also when you have pasted the code in an incorrect location. It may also happen when your IP is banned
4. Why you use a static front page in WordPress?
Some WordPress users want their WordPress installation to be more than a blog site. To give their page a look more like a real website page some users use static front page.
5. What is WordPress?
WordPress is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS) and a blogging tool, based on PHP and MySQL. It is free of cost, and you can use it for any personal and commercial website. Wordpress is the most popular blogging system and used for more than 60 million websites. It is licensed under GPL.
6. What are the plugins you can use to create a contact form in WordPress?
To create a contact form in WordPress, you can use a plugin like Gravity forms or also you can use a free plugin contact form 7.
7. Explain the difference between WordPress Themes and Plugins?
A theme is an external effect of a website’s presentation and designing. Whereas, a plugin is an interior effect which adds or remove some functions to a site.
8. What do you mean by a custom field in WordPress?
The custom field is a meta-data that allows you to store arbitrary information in the WordPress post. Through custom field, extra information can be added to the post.
9. What are the positive aspects of WordPress?
Few positive aspects of WordPress are
• Easy installation and upgrade
• In-built SEO engine
• Easy theme system
• Multilingual- available in more than 70 languages
• Own data- no unwanted advert on your website
• Flexibility and Easy publishing option
10. What are the rules that you have to follow for WordPress plugin development?
• Create a unique name
• Create the plugin’s folder
• Create a sub-folder for PHP files, translations, and assets
• Create the main plug-in file and fill in the header information
• Create activation and de-activation functions
• Create an uninstall script
• Create a readme.txt file
• To detect paths to plugin file use proper constants and functions
11. What is the prefix of WordPress tables by default?
By default, wp_ is the prefix for WordPress.
12. Why does WordPress use MySQL?
MySQL is widely available database server and is extremely fast. It is an open source, and it is available at no cost also it is supported by many low-cost Linux hosts so its easy for anyone to host their website.
You can customize some functionality in themes instead of installing the plugin, but plugins can’t replace themes.
13. How to update a WordPress site?
You should always update your site to the latest version of WordPress. Whenever there is a new WordPress version, you receive an update message on your admin screen.
There are two methods to update a WordPress site:
o One-click update
o Manually update
14. How to improve security on a WordPress site?
Security in a WordPress site is essential as these websites are favorite targets for hackers. A site can’t be perfectly secured, but one can at least reduce the risk by applying different security measures.
Some of the measures to secure a WordPress site are given below:
o Choosing a host
o Strong password
o 2 step login authentication
o Limit number of login attempts
o Use SSL
o Keep site updated
15. How to reset password in WordPress?
If you forget or lost the password of your account, WordPress gives you an option to reset it through different methods.
There are four ways to reset WordPress password:
o Change password from the dashboard
o Reset password via email
o Manually reset the password through database via PhpMyAdmin
o Using emergency password reset script
16. How to optimize WordPress site performance?
Optimization increases the speed of your site and gives the best possible outcome. It improves the ranking of a website.
There are many tricks to optimize a WordPress site. Some of them are given below:
o Use CDN
o Use a caching plugin
o Use a simple theme/framework
o Keep site updated
o Split long posts into smaller pages